For decades, plastic and cosmetic surgeons have used saline and silicone implants for breast augmentation procedures. Thanks to advancements in the field, you have the option to choose between the traditional procedure or a fat transfer.
Both types of breast augmentation can:
- Make your breasts larger
- Make your breasts look fuller and rounder
- Improve your overall figure
- Enhance your self-confidence
Choosing the right procedure for you depends on many factors — here’s what you need to know before selecting one over the other.
Overview of breast implants
Traditional breast implants use saline or silicone pouches to enhance the size, shape, and fullness of your breasts. Dr. Diktaban inserts the pouches beneath your breast tissue through small incisions near your armpit, under your breast, or on your areola (the dark area around your nipple).
Pros of traditional breast implants:
- Well-researched and documented history of success
- Can increase multiple cup sizes
- Many shapes and textures from which to choose
- Extremely long-lasting
Cons of traditional breast implants:
- Risk of leakage or rupture
- May not feel or look as natural
- Possibility of implant shifting
Overview of fat transfer breast augmentation
If you want to knock out two birds with one stone, fat transfer breast augmentation might be a good choice for you. This procedure is ideal for women who have a decent amount of excess body fat and only want to increase their breasts by about one cup size.
To qualify for a fat transfer augmentation, you need to have enough body fat on your stomach, back, hips, buttocks, or thighs so that Dr. Diktaban can use liposuction to remove it and transfer it to your breasts. In essence, a fat transfer is a type of body contouring and a breast augmentation at the same time.
Pros of fat transfer:
- May look and feel more natural
- Can remove unwanted fat from other areas
- No foreign objects in your body
Cons of fat transfer:
- Possibility of necrosis (fat cells may die)
- May need touch-up injections periodically
- Normally can’t increase more than one cup size
Should I choose implants or fat transfer?
The best procedure for you depends on a number of factors, including:
- Your current body shape and size
- Your figure goals
- How much body fat you have
- How many cup sizes you want to add to your breasts
- Medical history
There’s no “best” procedure — both have their own unique set of pros and cons. Dr. Diktaban will walk you through your options and recommend what he believes is the ideal treatment for you, based on your consultation and physical exam.
If you’re ready to achieve fuller, rounder breasts, call Dr. Diktaban today (646-583-3989), or request your consultation appointment with our online scheduling tool.
Dr. Theodore Diktaban, MD FACS, a double board-certified plastic surgeon with 35+ years of experience, specializes in safe and subtle cosmetic treatments, enhancing natural beauty and boosting self-confidence in the Upper East Side and New York City.