Breast augmentation surgeries have become increasingly popular over the past few years. As common as it may be, however, it’s normal to feel unprepared for your surgery date. Although your board certified plastic surgeon will make sure you have steps to follow during your consultation, here’s what to know about preparing for your surgery and making sure it goes smoothly.
Unlike certain types of blood tests, you won’t need to fast before this blood work. The point of these tests is to determine that your levels of electrolytes, creatine, hemoglobin, and INR are normal.
If the above levels are not normal, Dr. Diktaban will discuss your best steps. Another thing to note is that if you are over 50 years of age, you’ll require an electrocardiogram which is used to determine if your heart is functioning properly. These tests can help avoid potential complications during surgery.
Two Weeks Before
It’s always better to start preparing earlier rather than later because you may need to take some specific steps. It can also help give you some peace of mind knowing that you have nothing to worry about during or after your surgery.
Important things to take care of prior to surgery include securing a ride home after the surgery and having a close friend or family member around to take care of things like pet care and childcare.
Here are a few tips to prepare yourself mentally and physically for the procedure:
- Don’t drink alcohol or smoke.Alcohol and nicotine can both prolong the healing process and cause complications after the surgery such as bruising. Alcohol by itself can thin your blood and it’s strongly advised to drink water rather than alcoholic beverages.
- Don’t take medications that interfere with your blood-clotting ability.Examples of these medications include aspirin and ibuprofen. If you need to take painkillers, consider taking acetaminophen (Tylenol).
- Avoid herbal supplements.Some herbal supplements have been found to reduce the effects of anesthesia, so you should discuss any herbal supplements you take with Dr. Diktaban during your consultation.
One Week Before
During the week before your procedure, you should prepare just as you would for any other surgery. It can be helpful to prepare some meals ahead of time that you can easily reheat when you need them.
It’s also important to go shopping to ensure you have everything you need. Some necessary items include:
- Stool softeners or laxatives: Some prescription narcotic medications are known for causing bowel issues such as constipation.
- Robes or pajamas for use in the hospital and at home
- Antibacterial soap
- Shirts that are easy to remove
- Foods that are low in sodium like fruits, saltine crackers, pudding, soup, and prepared foods if you don’t plan to cook your own meals.
The Night Before
The night before your procedure includes the most important steps in preparation. Here are a few steps to follow:
- Avoid eating or drinking during the final 8 hours prior to surgery.This is the most important step because the failure to do so can cause regurgitation of the stomach’s contents while under anesthesia. This can be deadly if not followed. If it’s found that you have not fasted the night before, the procedure may be canceled or delayed.
- Wash your hair.
- Use antibacterial soap when showering.
- Have a good night’s rest.
The Big Day
You have probably been dreaming of this day for a long time and it’s finally here. Assuming that you’ve properly prepared in the weeks before for this procedure, your surgery day will be smooth and worry-free.
Some things to remember in the morning are to wear loose clothing and avoid accessories such as makeup, jewelry, and even contact lenses. Directions on how to properly prepare for your surgery date will be discussed during your consultation to avoid any complications or miscommunications.
Enjoy the experience as it is definitely one to remember.
Schedule a Consultation
Breast augmentation is the best way to boost your confidence by boosting your figure. To meet with Dr. Diktaban and get started, we invite you to contact our New York City office by calling or filling out our online form.